Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Great & Mediocre Coffee In NYC

Doughnut Plant




[caption id="attachment_435" align="aligncenter" width="560"]Doughnut Plant Doughnut Plant[/caption]

In Chris Rock's stand-up act, he calls Crispy Creme doughnuts "Kracky Kreme". If only he'd try Doughnut Plant's creations he would sing a different tune. These are the real deal. Addictive? You bet, when I wasn't there I thought about the next day when I'd return to taste another flavor. I tried Peach, Vanilla Bean and Coconut Lime Yeasts, Creme Brulee and Peaches & Cream filled Doughseeds. These remarkable creations are simply the best doughnuts I've ever tasted. My only regret? They didn't have the Rose Petal Doughseed on either day I visited. Coffee was also great, made by Kobrick, a local roaster that's been around since 1920.

[caption id="attachment_436" align="aligncenter" width="392"]Magic In A Doughnut Plant Box Magic In A Doughnut Plant Box[/caption]

I Am Coffee




[caption id="attachment_503" align="aligncenter" width="560"] Interior, I Am Coffee[/caption]

If you were standing in the middle of St Mark's Place, you'd never guess that one of the city's best coffee shops is just a few steps away. Look carefully. Right alongside the Ramen noodle joints and next door to Sing Sing Karaoke Lounge is a coffee destination unlike any other, I Am Coffee. Giovanni Finotto and Caterina Musajo hail from Crema, Italy and they concoct some of the most amazing coffee "cocktails" (sans alcohol).

[caption id="attachment_460" align="aligncenter" width="392"]Preparing My Shakerato Preparing My Shakerato[/caption]

Take the Shakerato that I ordered. Cateriana vigorously froths the drink in a cocktail shaker and serves it in a martini glass. This is not "Third Wave" but a different way of presenting coffee. There's twists on caffè freddo, Macchiato, and drinks of the day with fresh Ginger and other fabulous ingredients. The roast is from Bologna’s Manuel Terzi and is that darker Italian style. Sure there's the traditional drip and pour-over but the magical concoctions are what it's all about.

[caption id="attachment_459" align="aligncenter" width="448"]IMG_4871 The Shakerato[/caption]

A few weeks ago I stated that Parlor Coffee in Williamsburg may be the smallest coffee shop in the city. I Am Coffee is even smaller. Three customers is a crowd at this bar. Even though I'm not a Catholic, when approaching Cateriana with my order, I felt like I was entering a very intimate setting.... almost like a confessional. It's a one-on-one experience that every coffee lover should experience.

Eataly




[caption id="attachment_502" align="aligncenter" width="560"]IMG_5139 The Flatiron Building[/caption]

The Flatiron Building is one of my favorites in NYC. But I'm sorry to say that not all things about the city is remarkable when it relates to coffee. Eataly by Mario Batalli just a stone's throw from this marvelous building is one of those unfortunate missteps.

[caption id="attachment_461" align="aligncenter" width="560"]Coffee At Eataly Coffee At Eataly[/caption]

Eataly is an Italian food market chain that started in Turin and is now in 11 locations in Italy and 6 additional venues in the United States and Japan.  The New York location is the first in the US (soon to be expanded to other cities).  It is a joint partnership between Mario Batali and Lidia and Joe Bastianich.   Walking into Eataly my anticipation and expectations were quite high. I've read a lot about this cavernous market and avoided it up until now as it has been really chaotic & crowded since its opening.  Although it was busy, the market was easy to manage. There's over 50,000 square feet of space, with retail food, six restaurants, and of course Italian coffee waiting for you as you walk in. I was struck by how antiseptic the space seemed. It's like a tourist's conception of "Italy". Look, the food is good (and the prices high) but it's a "safe" version of Italy for those who like to be led by the hand and told what to buy. And led by the hand you are!  Product placements are everywhere. A huge Lavazza sign greats you at the coffee bar. I've got to wonder... how much did it cost that company for the sponsorship? It reminds me of Food Network cross marketing. In another section of the store you can buy any of Mario's numerous cookbooks.   House wine is, of course Bastianich winery.

What about the coffee? I ordered a cup and was served a dark, bitter roast that wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't have lots of grounds waiting for me at the bottom. I got a big mouthful and had to spit it out.

Everyman Espresso




[caption id="attachment_458" align="aligncenter" width="560"]Everyman Espresso Everyman Espresso[/caption]

During my coffee explorations I tried to visit Everyman Espresso on 13th Street only to find it closed for renovation. On may last day in the city, I struggled across Canal Street to get to the Holland Tunnel. Making a quick right turn up West Broadway, I suddenly saw Everyman's second location. Pulling over I ran in for a quick cup of Counter Culture. I found myself petting their beautiful Strada while the Barista pulled a perfect shot. although I was a bit beat-up at that point and the shop was filled with the perfectly coiffed guests from the Soho Grand right across the street, the staff couldn't be friendlier. It was the perfect ending of my brief Big Apple visit.

Support CoffeeGuru download the app here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/coffeeguru-indie-coffeehouses/id547969523?mt=8

Doughnut Plant http://doughnutplant.com

I Am Coffee https://www.facebook.com/iamcoffeenyc

Eataly http://www.eataly.com

Everyman Espresso http://everymanespresso.com

Kobrick Coffee http://www.kobricks.com

Counter Culture http://counterculturecoffee.com





















1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it to I am Coffee, my absolute favourite in NYC. Very envious that you managed to get behind the counter too!

    Brian.

    ReplyDelete