Wednesday, May 28, 2014

West Village Coffee Field Trip

Last week I spent a few hours in New York City's West Village.  The neighborhood is distinguished by streets that are "off the grid" — set at an angle to the other streets in Manhattan.  It's still Colonial in feel and very residential.  In my fantasies when I dream of moving back to the city my first choice is a brownstone in the West Village.  A few years ago while getting into my car I saw Gwyneth Paltrow exiting her home on one of these charming streets and the idea of her as one of my neighbors cemented my decision.


Processed with VSCOcam with se3 preset
 Street Fair, West Village


I only had time to check out two coffee shops, Prodigy Cafe and Whynot.  Prodigy is a great space for a quiet respite from the tourists clogging Bleeker Street just around the corner.

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset



About six months ago the two owners started roasting their own coffee in Brooklyn at the Pulley Collective and they do a great job.  They offer both their signature Brooklyn Blend as well as single origin selections.

Processed with VSCOcam with hb2 preset



Just a few blocks away, Whynot Coffee and Wine on the corner of Gay and Christopher Streets is where the monied cool locals hang out.  Toby's estate is the house offering and the music is all vinyl. After 5 the coffee shop becomes a wine bar. Hang out here (make sure you dress the part...NYC cool) and you'll most likely rub elbows with a screenwriter, photographer or a local artist.

IMG_2782
Whynot


Dinner was spent in Chinatown...a bit of Szechuan followed by some bubble tea.

IMG_2783
Chinatown fish market



Links

CoffeeGuru features over 7,000 independent coffeehouses in the US, Canada, UK and Ireland. Download the app here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/coffeeguru-indie-coffeehouses/id547969523?mt=8

Prodigy Coffee





1 comment:

  1. I only got as far as looking at the outside of Why Not Coffee? but I liked what I saw. I shall have to go back to both on my next trip!

    Brian.

    ReplyDelete